[K12OSN] repository for K12LTSP 4.2.1 pre-release #1

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Mar 24 20:05:42 UTC 2005

Calvin Dodge wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 08:32:06AM -0800, Eric Harrison wrote:
>
>>There are still a couple big questions lingering which I cannot answer,
>>I'm going to need your help:
>>
>>  * Are the limits set in /etc/profile.d/ulimit.sh too high or too low for
>>    the users of your terminal server?
>

> My experience suggests that process limit (-u) is a little too low if running KDE (possibly
> for GNOME, too). It might be OK for XFCE or Icewm.
>
> The virtual memory limit (-v) bit me recently, but I doubt many other LTSP servers are also
> being used for Tomcat/Struts development.

I've been running my desktop w/o a problem.

On my laptop, I doubled the settings and tried to bring it to its knees.
  It survived ok, so perhaps it would be best to err on the permissive
side (we've been 100% permissive to this point).

So I built a new package with the higher limits. For those of you with
marginal servers & misbehaving students, is that too high?

-Eric