[K12OSN] Squid Question

Barry Solof barry at yellowdog.com
Fri Mar 25 15:41:53 UTC 2005

Hi,

>hand out custom filtering based off the user group they are assinged to
>in the SAMBA/LDAP.  So if student1 logs into any machine on campus
>before they can browse any page on the internet they either login as
>student1 or the content filter pulls the information from the machine

The latest version of IPCop (with addons) can authenticate users from an
ldap server (Openldap, AD or eDirectory).  It can also be pointed to a
specific ldap group within the ldap directory.

For example, on my network a user opening a browser must login (using the
same credentials as their network login) AND be a member of the
"Internet_Users" group.  Everyone else gets rejected for Internet use.

The squid and squidGuard logs seem to keep all the info that we need.

IPCop installs in a few minutes.  The addon for squidguard installs from a
bash file in about a minute.  You could have a test machine up and running
pretty quickly.

The one issue, though, is we don't have different levels of Internet
access for different groups.  On our network you either can use the
Internet or you can't.  Years ago we toyed with the idea of different
levels of access for different groups but the solutions always seemed to
be tied to the users IP number.  We didn't want to give up DHCP.

There is probably a way around this.  Any squidguard gurus?