[K12OSN] Server Quest

Thomas E. Haynes haynest at mchsi.com
Fri Mar 25 19:36:09 UTC 2005

Figure out what you need in the way of memory, hd's and processing power.
Folks on the list can advise here better than I can.

I bought two quad 550 xeon Dell 6350s last weekend off ebay. They each have
4gb of ram and 3X18gb UWscsi drives with hardware raid. They were $500 each
and cost $84 each to ship.

There are deals to be had, and for my purposes, these servers are pretty
nice. Something like this might have the horsepower for you, or you might
need faster processors. I am not the expert.

I can tell you that Fedora installed easily on these, and they were pretty
trivial to set up.

Regards...   Tom