[K12OSN] Installing on AMD64, Was: K12LTSP 4.2.1 pre3, ready for production?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun Mar 27 18:57:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Eric Harrison wrote:
>> OT to do?
>> Any compilations for 64bit? Last I heard this was likely to happen to
>> take advantage of newer AMD64 which are very affordable.
>
> For 4.2.1, AMD64 support will remain the same as in 4.2.0.
>
> I won't be building ISO images, but will be adding meta packages
> that will make it relatively easy to add the K12LTSP packages to a
> stock AMD64 install.

I guess I should have posted instructions, just in case anyone wants
to double-check my work... note that these instructions apply for
this beta only, they will change slightly (the URL for the k12ltsp-release
package) for the final release....

1) Do a default desktop install of Fedora Core 3 (either i386 or amd64),
    using these changes for the network and firewall configurations:

         eth0:  192.168.0.254/255.255.255.0
         eth1:   DHCP or static
         firewall: trust eth0

2) Once the install has been completed and you have rebooted, open
    up a root terminal window and type the following commands:
    (skipping the comments "#")

         # this package contains the yum configurations for K12LTSP
     rpm -Uhv http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/K12LTSP/4.2.1beta/updates/k12ltsp-release-4.2.1-5.noarch.rpm

        # pick the meta packages you want....
     yum install k12ltsp-core         # 194M - the core LTSP files
     yum install k12ltsp-education    # 113M - education applications
     yum install k12ltsp-utils        #  14M - squidguard, apt, mondo, meld
     yum install k12ltsp-extras       #   9M - icewm, openoffice-extras
     yum install k12ltsp-scripts      #   4K - useful scripts

        # run the K12LTSP initializatoin script & reboot
     /opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/K12Linux-LTSP-initialize
     /sbin/shutdown now -r

3) Done!

-Eric