[K12OSN] upgrade or fresh install?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Mar 28 19:47:48 UTC 2005

This isn't an answer, just some semi-related anectdotal info: My primary server at home
is k12 3.1, and I recently installed 4.2 on another box and then NFS mounted /home from
the old box onto the new box, after creating identical IDs on the new box.  When I
connect to the 4.2 server with a client and choose the Gnome desktop (default) I get an
error messaging saying things have changed in Gnome and it doesn't like the
configuration of my .gnome-desktop directory, says it will create a new one while saving
the old one, but then I get only part of the Gnome desktop, no task bar, etc.  I have
not seen a similar problem with IceWM (nor with KDE, I think although I can't recall
with certainty).  So, watch your step if you restore the ~/ directories to the new system.

Petre