[K12OSN] XKB Error

Dr. Daniel Loomis drloomis at cox-internet.com
Tue Mar 29 02:38:08 UTC 2005

I recently upgraded our 3.1.2 to 4.2.0 and mostly everything is ok,
except for the following error message popping up after login:

1.  Error activating XKB configuration

Clients get this message in a small window during login, but not the
server.  I understand that the problem is related to the clients running
XFree86 and the server Xorg.  I tried adding the following symlinks to
help, but to no avail.

ln -s /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86 /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg
ln -s /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst

Question:  Is this just an artifact from doing an upgrade rather than a
fresh install?  If so, is there any way to fix it without doing a new
install?  I have even tried fixing the ~/.gconf.conf files, but to not
avail. Everything seems to be working just fine, it is just annoying
having to tell users to disregard the error and click it away!  Clients
are all ThinkNICs using std. keyboards.

Additional observation:  The error does not occur with KDE Desktop.  It
does show up on IceWM, but that is also calling Nautilus so the problem
is with the Gnome subsystems.

Dan

P.S. Is sound on clients now a lost cause with 4.2.0?  I had it working
very well in 3.1.0, even using crossover plugin. None of the fixes
listed on the Wiki pages have helped.