[K12OSN] mDNSResponder

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Mar 29 16:18:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 08:56:01AM -0500, mrok12osn at eastgranby.k12.ct.us wrote:
> I have built samba and squid servers based on the K12LTSP 4.2.0 ISO's.
>
> I noticed that mDNSResponder is a service that is started.  Is this needed
> for a squid or samba server?  Is it any kind of security exposure if the

No.

> server has an Internet connection?

Sorry, I don't know.

> Doing a search on it indicates that it has something to do with a
> discovery IP process.

It's an open source implementation of Apple's Rendezvous package, which
lets computers discover each other and their resources.

I suspect that it's not needed if you don't have Macs on your LAN. I
typically disable mDNSResponder and nifd on any servers I set up, and I
suspect you can do the same.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge