[K12OSN] Accelerated Reader and Star Reader programs

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 30 18:46:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 11:40, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > I got AR to run under Crossover...sort of.  We have a data
> > base that it seemed not to connect to.  Any tweaking that
> > You did seem to help with any of those problems. ??   Each of our
> > schools has a data base that is out on a server and
> > The program has to hit that.  It is of course a windows server.
>
> I don't know if this will help you or not, but here it goes.  I house AR
> data on a linux server for a couple of the schools I deal with.  When I
> first moved the data to the server I could not get anything to connect
> to the database.  Problem turned out to be that in Mac and Windows case
> on filenames isn't very important, but Linux it is huge.  AR needed all
> of the files (if I remember right) to be in lower case.  And when it
> asked the Linux server for lower case files it told that app that it
> didn't have any.  This seems to be a problem brought about with years
> worth of upgrades, some files were store lowercase, some upper case.
> You may want to check your data files on the server and see what case
> they are in.

Samba has several options to control preserving case and being
case sensitive during access that can be set on a per-share
basis.  The default is normally non-case-sensitive like windows
expects.  Wine has a similar setting for whether the filesystem
should behave like win95, unix, or msdos.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com