[K12OSN] I need help with an idea

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Mar 30 18:55:56 UTC 2005

David Trask wrote:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Wednesday, March 30, 2005 at 1:17 PM +0000 wrote:
>
>>Rather than spending time on making local-apps work in the current LTSP
>>framework, perhaps it would be better to help out on the next-generation
>>LTSP framework that (if successful) would eliminate the need for
>>developing local-apps...
>>
>>http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/MueKow
>>
>>-Eric
>

> Good idea....though I'm curious...how would you envision this to work?
> (the local apps part I mean)...how will it eliminate the need for
> developing local apps?  Seriously I'm simply trying to see what the idea
> is so I can wrap my head around it.

The way this would work is that *every* application could be a
local-app. Want to install firefox as a local app? No problem, just do
something like:

	chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
	yum install firefox

	(or "apt-get install firefox" on a Ubuntu server, etc)

Done.

The tricky part is then the whole authentication, authorization, RPC
mechanisms, etc that are required for local apps (the same problem set
for the old way & the "development" way of doing local apps).

Read through the wiki page a couple of times and see if it makes sense.
If not, post where you are confused. Jim and I brain-stormed the whole
idea, so it seems perfectly clear to me ;-)

> Also....Eric....what're you doing June 19th, 20th, and 21st?  Wanna' come
> to Maine?  I'm sure you're busy, but figured I'd ask.

I have a bunch of things up in the air right now, I truely don't know
yet what my availibility will be for this summer.

-Eric