[K12OSN] PXE booting

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Mon May 2 13:04:32 UTC 2005

John,

It takes about 10-15 minutes to restore a WinXP partition (about 4 gigs
of data).  I see data transfers about 350 megs/minute.  The one bite
about partimage is if you have a smaller destination partition (I'm
experimenting w/ the nfsresize command to shrink the partition before
imaging it.. however you then have to reboot a couple of times on the
restore end to get it enlarged again).

Henry

Henry,

Sounds like a nice setup.
How long does it take to do the partimage restore?

John

From: Henry Burroughs <hburroughs HHPREP ORG>
      * To: k12osn redhat com
      * Subject: [K12OSN] PXE booting
      * Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:51:14 -0400

I've started using PXE network boot as default on a number of my new
systems.  I use PXELINUX and setup a boot menu where the user can choose
between windows (ie: localdrive) and linux over the network.  The cool
thing is I have an unlisted option for a pxe-recovery image that I use
partimage to restore or image that computer system.  No System rescue cd
needed.  I can pull the XP images straight off the network.

Henry