[K12OSN] Low end dual processor vs. high end single

Brian Beck Linux_Man at comcast.net
Tue May 3 17:43:30 UTC 2005

Alex Clark wrote:

> I've read various places that to run a 30 terminal ltsp lab on would
> need a dual processor (minimum 1Ghz each) and minimum 1 Gb of RAM.
> That said, what if you were to use a single 2.8 Ghz or higher
> processor?  Is this a possibility?
>
> Alex

For a 30-client lab, you'll need 2GB RAM minimum,  As far as
processors... I'd say that a 2.8Ghz P4/Xeon with Hyperthreading should
be able to handle it, although true SMP would still be preferrable.  Raw
speed isn't what's important; the ability to run multiple processes is.
I run a 32-client lab on Dual Opteron 240s - 1.4Ghz apiece.  The CPUs
have never been overloaded.  And 2GB of RAM has done fine, but the
clients are running IceWM, not Gnome/KDE.