[K12OSN] OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Tue May 3 18:57:50 UTC 2005

On: Tue, 03 May 2005 at 6:26 AM, Rob Owens said:

>> (Note that you can use OpenOffice and save in *.doc,
>> *.xls, and *.ppt formats).

One annoyance is that if you set the default to save in some format
other than the OO format (i.e. if you say you want text files saved in
Microsoft Word format) then every time you open a file, edit it and hit
"save", you have to answer that stupid question about saving in a format
that might not preserve all your formatting.  It defaults to "no" which
will then bring up a save-as dialog.  All this in spite of the fact that
I've never had any problems with formatting not being preserved.

Anyway, I really hate that.  If there were a setting that let me say
something like "I know I might lose formatting but stop bugging me!" I'd
really appreciate it.

Alternatively, if it said something like, "you included a <some
formatting feature> in your document and the formatting will be lost or
modified if you save in that format" then at least I'd know where the
problem is.  But you get the same stupid message even with a simple
document with nothing but straight text.

--
Henry