[K12OSN] SATA hot-swap hardware recommendations

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed May 4 19:15:14 UTC 2005

Henry Burroughs wrote:
> I'm looking to build a file backup server, and I want to use SATA and
> have a hot swap drive internal drive enclosure.  Can anyone recommend
> good hardware to do this with?  ie: a motherboard or controller and/or
> enclosure that will work properly under Linux and allow me to remove a
> drive live (the drive will be an off-site copy of the data).

One word, Henry: 3ware.  Go to newegg.com and search for this product.
They make exceptional hardware raid controllers with kernel support.
Their drive enclosures are elegant, and you can of course remove a drive
while the system is live.  There is a web-based management tool that
allows one to stop the drive.  A script called from convenient desktop
icons would be better, but ...

> Henry Burroughs
> Technology Director
> Hilton Head Preparatory School