[K12OSN] Samba/OpenLDAP or MS ADS (or maybe NDS)...

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Thu May 5 08:03:49 UTC 2005

John Hansknecht wrote:
> OK, we are finally going to replace our WindowsNT domain which is our current
> authentication method for Windows and LTSP clients. I am currently evaluating
> the options. I have a couple of specific questions regarding the
> Samba/OpenLDAP solutions.
> First, the following I believe are correct statements. Please let me know if I
> am wrong on any of them
> Samba / Open LDAP will:
> 1) Allow computers running Windows XP Prof to 'join the domain'
	Yes, we currently run Samba 2.2.7 PDC and XP Pro joins no problem

> 2) Authenticate users logging in from Windows XP Prof. clients.
	Yep
> 3) Handle providing a logon script to Users logging on From Windows XP Prof
> clients
	Yep, we use Kixstart to allow a little more control of login scripts
> 4) Handle mapping to profile server for roaming profiles for Windows XP Prof
> clients
	Roaming profiles work. You have to be a little careful what you include
with profiles as it can make logging in and out a bit slow. I have read
somewhere on the web about a school who altered the registry on there
machines so the profile always lived on the network so it was never
downloaded.

> But, my question is how do you handle group policies. Is anyone aware of a
> tool that will create/apply proper group policy files to use as part of this
> Samba / OpenLDAP solution? If not, how are you handling policies? Is it
> working satisfactorily for you?

As far as I'm aware Samba doesn't do group policies we use single
policies it's a bit long winded but work for use as we don't use
policies much.

I'm in the process of moving to Samba / LDAP 3 this summer.

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College