[K12OSN] Gcj vs javac

Luis Montes luis.montes at cox.net
Thu May 5 15:21:58 UTC 2005

I'd recommend installing Sun's jdk. Works fine on k12ltsp.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

I'd just pull down the jdk (not the jre, or the jdk+netbeans bundle)

Then make sure the bin directory is in your $PATH
also I'd set $JAVA_HOME to the directory the jdk was installed to.
Probably /usr/local/java/j2sdkxxx or something like that if you used the RPM

As far as IDEs I'd go with eclipse

For teaching java to younger people, you may also want to look here:
http://members.cox.net/luis.montes

Luis