[K12OSN] Gcj vs javac

Michael C Wescott wescott at sc.rr.com
Fri May 6 04:51:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 21:08, Eric Brown wrote:

> Any strong feelings or success stories about any IDE's?  I'd just stick with
> gedit, but I'd like it to do a little more for me.

Probably not the advice you want to hear but the basic Linux system is a
great IDE all by itself. All the tools are there and tend to work more
reliably than and more predictably than IDE's.

My personal preference is for 2 or 3 xterms on a screen plus as many
editor (vi or emacs) windows as I need; all spead over several virtual
desktops. One xterm runs the makes or compiles, one or two for greps, a
web browser for documentation, and so on.

It's like having a large toolbox with a variety of tools rather than one
giant cumbersome swiss-army knife.