[K12OSN] killer elementary/junior high apps?

richard ingalls aslansreturn at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 13:05:05 UTC 2005

My middle school aged kids mostly use the labs for
OpenOffice and the Gimp and Firefox (and of course
games).  I don't even use my linux labs with the
primary grade kids (they have a Windows lab with
"JumpStart" games).  The 5-8th grade kids write
reports, letters, do presentations and some
spreadsheet work, as well as internet research for
class projects.

I chose to go with PostNuke for my schools' CMS.  I'm
in the process of setting up a Moodle site for the
middle school language arts class.  I host the
PostNuke site on our own webserver (RedHat 8 with
Apache).  I'll host the Moodle site from the Language
Arts classroom server.  All of this software is FOSS.

http://glenwood.k12.mo.us is my school site.  Before
PostNuke CMS I used Dreamweaver and it was a LOT of
work and ate up TONS of my time.  Now, it's pretty
simple.