[K12OSN] Solving the bandwidth bottleneck

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue May 10 19:50:29 UTC 2005

> Can I configure my dhcpd.conf file to work with 2 local
> interfaces?  The TYAN
> mobos we are using have 3 nics, 2 10/100/1000 and 1 10/100.
> If I could have
> both the gig nics serving clients, then I could integrate a
> second switch
> into this lab of 30 and possibly eliminate the bandwidth
> bottleneck they
> sometimes suffer.

I have not tried this with LTSP yet but I do adaptor teaming with Intel
Pro NIC's in a couple of my servers.  I plan to try this in the future
(hopefully this summer) with my new LTSP server.

I will just list my notes for configuring this below, do with them what
you like.

Download Intel Pro 1000MT Dual Port NIC Drivers from www.intel.com
e1000-5.2.52.tar.gz and iANS-3.0.2.tar.gz
#tar zxf e1000-5.2.52.tar.gz
#cd e1000-5.2.52/src
#make install
#insmod e1000
This installs the e1000 drivers.

#tar zxf iANS-3.0.2.tar.gz
#cd iANS-3.0.2/src
#make
#make install
#ianstool
This runs the iANS configuration tool.  Enter 1 to add a team, name
"team1", use ALB (Adaptive Load Balancing, fails over if one dies,
otherwise evenly distributes load across NICs in team), enable RLB, VLAN
mode none, join eth0 as primary, join eth1 as secondary, Virtual Adaptor
name "team1", Enter 5 to save topology across boots.

This configured your adaptor team1.  You can use as many adaptors to a
team as you can fit in a machine.

Now configure an IP address for team1.

#vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-team1
DEVICE=team1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
USERCTL=no
IPADDR=10.6.1.15
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
GATEWAY=10.6.0.1

Quit vi and save.  Restart network and be sure team1 starts (OK).

Of course use your own IP and network information for configuring
ifcfg-team1.

Now this only works with Intel Pro NICs.  And to my knowledge you don't
need any special network equipment to make this possible, your network
should see this as a single IP and a single NIC. Also I configure
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and eth1 with the following:
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Ethernet

This way they are transparent to the network and unaccessible.

I hope this helps.