[K12OSN] Adding another server as backup.

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Wed May 11 08:34:37 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 01:57, AIMSSDA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an existing LTSP server, and this coming school year i will buy
> another server that will serve as a backup. I don't want my students to
> nag me when no computer class.
>
> Now, my question is, how can i make a setup that when the first LTSP
> server bugs down, the clients can still boot using the other LTSP
> server. Is that possible?

We have 6 LTSP servers for our 90 clients.  Clients connect to a random server
and the load is spread roughly evenly.  I say "roughly" because one box is
more greedy than the others and takes more logins; this may be related to the
processing power of said box.  User authenication is a mix of NIS and Samba;
old student accounts are authenicated against an NT4 box and newer ones
against one of the Linux servers using YP.  When the last of the older
students leaves, we can drop the NT4 box (a day that I am very much looking
forward to).

As far as the load balancing goes, we did nothing special.  Each LTSP server
was setup the same.  Each is a DHCP server and each serves addresses in the
same network range.  The client PXE boots, grabs an i/p address from which
ever server responds first and is loaded with a kernel. The second DHCP
request (for the NFS) may be served by a different server to that which
supplied the kernel.

It just works and we've been running this setup for 2 1/2 years now.  We are
currently adding another class room of 30 machines and two more servers and
this will be the same as the existing setup.
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation