OT-hijacked. . .Re: [K12OSN] Solving the bandwidth bottleneck

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed May 11 13:45:50 UTC 2005

I hear you Doug, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But typically in a situation like yours you would head off your massive
network with one router and multiple IP's.  Then offer only private
internal IP's to all of your equipment on the private side of the
router.  If any device needs external access then you would NAT the
external IP to the internal IP and allow the needed ports (this is also
a good security measure).  Then if you want to have multiple internal
networks you have to my knowledge, and still follow rules, three
options.

1. Have multiple internal interfaces on your router each assigned a
different internal network (ie: eth0 192.168.0.x-255.255.255.0, eth1
192.168.1.x-255.255.255.0, eth2 10.0.x.x-255.255.0.0, etc).  I for one
prefer the 10.0.x.x-255.255.0.0 for an internal range is it gives you
the option of 253 networks and about 65,000 clients.  And then have each
of those interfaces feed their own network segment completely
independent of all other networks.  However for you this requires extra
wiring that it sounds like you don't have available.

2. Get a router that can handle VLANs.  These are "virtual" lans.  You
will also need switches that can handle VLANs.  With this type of setup
you can decide what networks "trunk" down wiring room cross connects.
And you can physically assigne each and every individual port its own
network.  You could have 3 offices from 8 different buildings look like
they are wired on their own private lan.  Since these are smart devices
they know how to handle ARP, OSPF, broadcasts, whatever without getting
confused.  But these can be fairly high cost.

3. Subnetting.  This should basically accomplish what you achieve with
VLANs but with a lot more maintainance headache, number crunching, and
not quite as clean.  VLANs offer more managability and less network
overhead.  But if your on a budget this could be the best option.

Everything has rules but as we all know from growing up breaking certain
rules has more consequenses than others.  Some networking rules are
probably silly, but some prevent underlying problems that may not be
visible without a lot of patience and a good network sniffer.

Either way I am sure you won't change since what you have is working and
a change would likely cause massive reconfiguration, time, and usually
with that comes money.  But just remember this doesn't exactly follow
protocol and you may have/always had problems that you just don't know
about.