[K12OSN] standalone spyware / content filter -- need suggestions

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Wed May 11 15:09:52 UTC 2005

My suggestion would be IPCop and add Cop+.  Several schools that I know
of are using this and are very happy with it.  The Cop+ addon will add
DansGuardian.

Easy to set up.  Easy to manage.  I rarely touch ours and it just plugs
away doing its job.

ClarkConnect is another alternative.

Rob Owens wrote:

>I've heard a few package names mentioned, like
>Dansguardian, but I was wondering if somebody could
>suggest the easiest one to use.  The goal is mostly to
>stop spyware.  It will be a standalone box that
>doesn't need to run any other apps.  Perhaps there's
>even a distro out there that is specifically designed
>for this kind of thing, I don't know.  Any help would
>be appreciated.  I've never set one of these things
>up, so I'd prefer something that is 90% effective but
>intuitive to set up, over something that is 95%
>effective but difficult to configure.
>
>Thanks
>
>-Rob
>

>Yahoo! Mail
>Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour:
>http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html

Jim Hays, Technology Coordinator
Monticello CUSD#25
#2 Sage Drive