[K12OSN] standalone spyware / content filter -- need suggestions

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Wed May 11 17:45:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 11:52, Rob Owens wrote:

> One more question.  How do IPCop and Dansguardian
> differ from squidguard?  Looks like they might
> actually use squidguard.  Do IPCop and Dansguardian
> simplify the implementation?

IPCop is a firewall.

Squid is a cache engine.

SquidGuard is a redirector for Squid. It will redirect requests for
certain URLs to another desired location. For example, I use it to
redirect attempts to access search engines to Google. If someone on my
networks tries to go to search.yahoo.com, they're automatically
redirected to google.com.

DansGuardian is a content filter that uses Squid to fetch objects from
the web. It filters based on domain name, URL regexes and page content.

I have a standalone IPCop machine and another machine running Squid,
SquidGuard and DansGuardian. The kids at my school hate this machine.

--
george kocke <webmaster at vol.org>
http://www.vol.org