[K12OSN] standalone spyware / content filter -- need suggestions

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Wed May 11 18:00:27 UTC 2005

DansGuardian also has great power in weighted phrase lists...

so "dirty rotten sex" would be filtered but "sex education classes"
would likely pass if you have words weighted appropriately...mind-you
a fairly time-consuming task for the admin and takes a bit of tweaking
to get it just right...

We were having issues with kids playing internet games all the time and
hording the computers for such activities...so I blocked the word 'game'
and was the most hated person on the planet for a period of 3 months =)

Also blocking staff isn't a bad idea for those staff who allow students
open access to their computers, that end up taking 20% of your support
time because "something happened" and everytime they open up their
browser it goes to a porn site...and "they didn't do anything"

--Huck