[K12OSN] RHEL/K12LTSP

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri May 13 16:21:22 UTC 2005

Trond Mæhlum wrote:
> fre, 13,.05.2005 kl. 06.53 -0700, skrev Eric Harrison:
>
>>On Fri, 13 May 2005, Trond [ISO-8859-1] Mhlum wrote:
>>

>>>After given up a FC3 install on my HP330, I have decided to go for a
>>>RHEL4 install, which detects the ATA Raid nicely.
>>>
>>>Is there a way to install the K12LTSP packages into this install, or do
>>>I have to go for a pure LTSP install from scratch?
>>>
>>>I always install apt on my RHEL4 boxes, since I'm used to that. I also
>>>use some mirrors from FC3 to install software. Is there such a apt
>>>repository that might do this for RHEL4?
>>
>>I'm working on this right now. If I remember my apt syntax correctly,
>>this should do the trick:
>>
>> 	rpm http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us apt/EL4 k12ltsp non-free os
>

> That looks right. Thank you. I'll try that.
>
> Trond

I should also complete the instructions ;-)

To simplify things a bit, I made K12LTSP meta packages. You can grab
just the group of packages you are interested in:

         apt-get update
         apt-get install k12ltsp-core      # LTSP
         apt-get install k12ltsp-education # Education apps
         apt-get install k12ltsp-utilities # yum, mondo, squidguard, etc
         apt-get install k12ltsp-extras  # icewm, openoffice-extras, etc

If you install the k12ltsp-core package via apt-get/yum/up2date, you
must manually run the initialization script:

         /opt/ltsp/templates/k12ltsp/K12Linux-initialized

Then reboot the server, cross your fingers, and try to boot a terminal ;-)

-Eric