[K12OSN] Professional Development and Teacher Collaboration

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon May 16 19:12:06 UTC 2005

One of the biggest problems we have in our district with LTSP
acceptance, I believe, is due to lack of PD.  Would anyone be willing to
share how they have trained staff to use the different OS?

Do your teachers have lesson plans they are sharing?  Care to share
globally?

A large part of this goes along with the thread asking about "killer
apps" --  I'll one up that, and ask about departments or grade levels
that are using thin clients as a part of the curriculum.

Lastly, might we start another ltsp listserv for *teachers* using linux,
so that they might share ideas without subscribing to this list and
listening to the nuances of squid ports and dynamically loaded kernel
modules?  :)

I have a 4th grade program, in which all 4 classrooms are using thin
clients.  One teacher has been using K12LTSP since version 2, and his
class hasn't visited the "normal computer lab" in 3 years.  I'd love to
hook him up with other districts.  Do other folks on this list have
similar teachers at other grade levels?  Have an interested upper
elementary teacher that might like to talk with my 4th grade success story?

I have linux in the door -- now I really want to make it work for
everyone like it works for me.  Any advice?

-Shawn

PS:  I'm willing to do the legwork, and even host the listserv if so
desired.  If you only have time to forward this email to some teachers
that would be interested, fine -- I really want to get folks
communicating classroom to classroom.

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director