[K12OSN] Professional Development and Teacher Collaboration

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue May 17 21:40:17 UTC 2005

Shawn Powers wrote:

<snip>

> Yikes...  with the future shift away from redhat, perhaps it should
> *not* be hosted there.  Thoughts?

<snip>

There is no shift away from RedHat.

I worry about people being confused by this aspect of free software. We
are free to work with more than one "vendor", for the benefit of more
than one "vendor".

The Ubuntu folks are working hard on the problem set we specialize in
here on this list (linux in schools, thin clients). Working with them on
our common interests does not in any way mean we have to phase out
working with others with the same interests. It just means that we all
have more options to choose from.

Keep in mind that Mark Shuttleworth, who funds Ubuntu development, also
funds the deployment of K12LTSP[1]. On several occasions he has reminded
me that he has a vested interest in the current version of K12LTSP being
maintained ;-)

-Eric

[1]
http://www.shuttleworthfoundation.org/index.php?option=content&task=blogsection&id=30