[K12OSN] Best FTP Server

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed May 18 13:25:45 UTC 2005

> I think the only FTP server that *comes* with K12LTSP is
> vsftpd -- but
> it works great. :)
>
> The newer version might have wuftpd and such, but I know the older
> versions only had vsftpd.  Try 'yum install vsftpd' -- and see if it
> installs.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think there is a webmin module for
> administering
> it -- it might be good ol' command line editing the config file.

VSFTPD works awesome and from what I read when I chose to use it is it
is extremely secure and stable.  I have been running that for almost 2
years now without a hitch.  There is a Webmin Module for it in the Third
Party section, but honestly you won't need it.  Users pull from you
local system accounts and there really is nothing to admin the app
itself once it is running.  The module is fairly minimal for its
controls.  The only change I made is to chroot users so they cannot
traverse the machine after login.