[K12OSN] New Install ? on Switch

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Wed May 18 21:07:32 UTC 2005

On 5/18/05, hoffmann at fidnet.com <hoffmann at fidnet.com> wrote:
> If I want to set up 3 rooms with 10 pcs each, what kind of switch(es) would
> you purchase?  Do I put a switch in each room?  A 24 port and a 16 port to
> allow for expansion?

Karen:

I'd put 16 port switches in each room.  Then you would have a switch
in the server room, and likely that should be a gb switch, and put a
gb nic in the server.  About 30 clients is when you want to shift up
to gb from the server--at least, that's what we do.

I've found a company here that has some p3's they'll donate to you.
You'd have to pay for shipping, but it would be inexpensive compared
to buying them.  I think they have about 25 machines.  I'm going to
look at them tomorrow.

I'm going to be in St. Louis at least one night, speaking to a Linux
Users Group, and I have three other talks tentatively scheduled--but I
think that's closest to you.  Let me know if you want to find time to
connect before or after that talk.

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon