[K12OSN] Help me fight FUD

Mark Cockrell cockrell at honeygroveisd.net
Thu May 19 18:52:28 UTC 2005

Hello all,
    We're looking at tossing MS Office entirely at our district in favor
of OpenOffice/StarOffice.  The administration recognizes the cost
benefit and the more technically savvy teachers are ok with the change.
So far no on has questioned the ability of OO.o to meet our future
needs.  The Fear Uncertainty and Doubt exist in relation our current
body of work.  Some of these teachers have dozens of PowerPoint
presentations they've been using for years and the thought of having to
edit and reformat them all to account for the lack of Feature X in
OpenOffice is daunting.  They'd rather hang on to the aging copy of MS
Office 97 they know, than face the future of a modern office suite they
don't know.  Have any of you fought this battle?  Does anyone have any
references that I can point these people to in order to alleviate their
fears?  I don't want to waste the backing of the administration on this,
but I don't want to be lynched by a frightened mob either.  Any (useful)
comments are welcome.

--
C-ya,
Mark