[K12OSN] Re: Help me fight FUD

Burke Almquist balmquist at mindfirestudios.com
Sat May 21 16:07:18 UTC 2005

On May 20, 2005, at 8:25 AM, Mark Cockrell wrote:
> We've had StarOffice 6.0/7.0 on the machines for a couple of
> years.  Most of them have at least attempted to open something with
> it and immediately freaked out.

Here's what Paul Murphy had to say on the subject.

"Long, long, ago I put a six user SCO Unix system into an accounting
office along with a nicely set-up RealWorld Accounting package and
six dumb terminals - 1986 after all! The system they had been using
ran under PC-DOS and wan't remotely comparable to RealWorld in
functionality or anything else but I made the mistake of showing them
that SCO/Unix provided DOS emulation.

I had the idea that this would help them port their data across into
RealWorld but that's not what happened. Since they lived from one
crisis to the next they never made time to learn the new system and,
a year later, were running six copies of their old system on the SCO
machine.

I learnt a new rule from them, a rule that has colored my actions
ever since:
People who are too busy to take an hour or two to learn how to use a
new tool that will save    them considerable time, will gladly devote
hundreds of hours to avoiding that hour or two of learning.
So now when I make software change recommendations, I make sure they
either have the time and leisure to learn properly, or absolutely no
alternative.