[K12OSN] Flash drive in thin client.

Shawn Austin austinsr at uindy.edu
Mon May 23 18:54:23 UTC 2005

Actually, if you are running K12LTSP 4.2.1, you can have "native" access
to the local drives without using MTools.
This is what you need to do.
Read http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LocalDrives
Almost all the steps to get it working can be found on the page.  Three
modified files are attached that will be needed to get this working.

To boil it down:
1. Add HOTPLUG = Y to your lts.conf file.
2. Double check that you have SAMBA Client on the server. rpm -qa |grep
samba   You should have samba-client.  If not, install it.
3. The download at the bottom of the wiki link for updated files has a
few errors in it.  Use the ones attached to this email.  hotplug needs
to go in /opt/ltsp/i386/sbin and needs 755 for permissions.
rc.localdev need to go in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc with 755 for permissions.
4. Copy the rc.usb that is also attached into /opt/ltsp/i386/etc with
755 for permissions.
5. Download http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/ltsp-4.1/LDA-setup.sh
and   http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/ltsp-4.1/LDA-shutdown.sh
"If you use KDM:
/usr/local/bin/LDA-setup.sh goes into line 3 of /etc/kde/kdm/Xstartup
/usr/local/bin/LDA-shutdown.sh goes into line 3 of /etc/kde/kdm/Xreset
if you use GDM:
/usr/local/bin/LDA-setup.sh goes into line 3 of
/etc/X11/gdm/PostLogin/Default /usr/local/bin/LDA-shutdown.sh goes into
line 3 of /etc/X11/gdm/PostSession/Default
"
6. Reboot the client
7. Look inside the users home dir.  You should see a directory called
Drives.  There is your local device.
8. If that fails, add a SCREEN_02 = SHELL to the workstation you are on,
then check in /tmp/drives and see if you can see the devices there.

Ive got this working on 2 servers so far, with 5 different test usb
flash drives.  If you have problems with this, send it back out to the
list and I will try to walk you through it.

Shawn Austin

Client Services
University of Indianapolis