[K12OSN] Print Quota

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Tue May 24 08:53:06 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 00:45, Msdigital wrote:
> I am interested to find out how many administrators on this list use print
> quota at there site? I have cups set up with 2 printers in my sandbox
> environment. I am able to restrict my test users to 50 pages per week, but
> there are a few things that I noticed Cups can not do or is not doing.

My experiences of printer quotas can be found at
www.openhgs.org/moin.cgi/PrinterQuota

> 1. When a user reaches their max quota for the week, they are not alerted
> of this, there is no indication that the print limit has been reached.

In a GUI application, that matches our experience.   If you print from a
command line, you get an error message which hints that your quota has been
reached.

> 2. I have five groups they are Administrators, Teachers,Staff, Students and
> IT. I am not able to successfully set different quote limits for each
> group. I would also like to set priorities for each group. The
> Administrator and Teacher would get priority on certain prints and staff
> would get priority on the office printer.

AFAIK CUPS cannot set different quotas per group.  What we do is setup an
alias for each of our printers, and only allow access to this alias by the
staff group.  This lets staff print as much as they like, and students are
limited to 7 pages per day.

> if anyone on this list has a successful Cups print quota environment, can
> you please post your configurations, or guide me to free software that can
> accomplish this.

Pykota lets you setup printer quotas on an individual user of group basis and
also can notify users when there quota is about to run out.  I tried to get
this working, but I encountered problems with the PostgreSQL database
configuration.  It might be simpler with an LDAP or MySQL database.  There is
a link to the Pykota homepage on the above wiki page.

--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation