[K12OSN] Print Quota

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue May 24 12:45:41 UTC 2005

I've just setup Pykota using my existing `Sandbox` Samba3 / LDAP server built using Fedora Core 3 as
the backend and I looks like it should be quite good. We paid the $25 to get the latest tar's / rpms
but the most important bit of that is the documentation, it's not brilliant but I managed to get it
working !!!

We use all HP printers so this might help as they seem to be really well supported, we'll the 2100's
and 6P's we have are.

I'm in the process of rebuilding all our Cups servers and I'm intending to have pykota install on
all of them reporting back to a central Postgre server.

The nice thing I have found with Pykota is that you can have both an unmanaged print queue as well
as a pykota manager queue on the same machine to the same printer so I'm hoping to roll the servers
out with auditing but if it all goes wrong I can switch to the standard CUPS install without the end
users knowing all you have to alter is the port setup in the CUPS web interface.

I've got really really rough notes one installing pykota on Fedora Core 3 if anyone is interested.
It's just a list of the packages I had to install and files to fiddle with.

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College