[K12OSN] Suggestions for a LTSP Demo

Harish Pillay harish.pillay at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:32:16 UTC 2005

Hi.  I have an opportunity to help educate a bunch of school
teachers about Linux, Open Source and copyright/licensing
issues. These teachers are the ones looking after IT related
stuff in Singapore schools.  The event is to be held on June
2nd.

Instead of those topics (or perhaps in addition to), I am thinking
of showcasing LTSP.  I have their time from 9am till noon and
they will be in a lab with machines and I am thinking of
preparing a server (could be my laptop - a Dell D600) to be
the server.  I reckon about 20 teachers will be attending.

I would like to hear from list members on best practises for
demos.

I have invited LUGS (www.lugs.org.sg) for volunteers and they
are fothcoming offering hardware and time.

In order to make a good and positive impression with these
teachers (who probably have never seen a Linux desktop and
probably do not even know of Linux), what are the top 5 things
that we must show in the LTSP demo?  Do remember that
these schools are not short of funds and the Singapore Ministry
of Education (www.moe.gov.sg) has the tax dollars to pay the
Micro$oft tax - but I want to curtail/reduce that.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Harish Pillay
ps:  I helped establish LUGS back in 1993 and am currently
employed by Red Hat in Singapore, but this is an effort
independent of Red Hat per se.