[K12OSN] Suggestions for a LTSP Demo

Curt Craig ccraig at safedesksolutions.com
Tue May 24 19:06:03 UTC 2005

500 CD titles?  Have you heard the one about the cat-herder? ;)

Seriously though, we try to point our customers to open-source
alternatives as much as possible, but if there are some definite "gotta
haves" that staff members won't budge on, there are a number of
emulation approaches one might take, from Wine to CodeWeavers to VMware
to Win4Lin... the latter 3 cost $$, but the overall cost savings more
than make up for the difference.  We find most of our K12 customers are
happy enough keeping MS Office and a couple education apps for their
labs.  (such as Accelerated Reader/Math, for example)

BUT...there is always the philosophical divide that some
schools/staff-members are faced with...the days of bringing in the
latest software they opened up in their breakfast cereal box will be
gone...and some folks have problems with that. (as if the IT dept.
doesn't have enough!)

For OS alternatives, check out:
http://richtech.ca/seul/
http://docs.kde.org/