[K12OSN] SAMBA/LDAP install problems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed May 25 14:34:21 UTC 2005

At 10:18 AM 5/25/2005, Bill Bardon wrote:
>On Wednesday, May 25 David Trask wrote:
> > You've still failed to answer the two questions above....if you won't
> > answer...we can't help you.  The error log tells us nothing more than
> > it's not working, but without knowing what distribution of Linux
> > you're using and whether or not you are using the smbldap-installer
> > from the top of my page at http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/smbldap
> >  the error log is
> > useless.
>
>But David, he did answer.  He's using CentOS, and he did a manual
>install, not the smbldap-installer.  Here's his message again:

I did run the smblldap-installer.  Version 1.2.1

And CentOS can be found at  www.centos.org

>"As I said in my message, but it was toward the bottom, Centos 4.0
>
>"I started at the beginning of your script.  I said I had fedora (I
>thought  I had to say something).  The script then asked me for disk 3,
>which of  course I did not have.  But as I looked through the messages,
>the rpms that  were being asked from from that CD were already in the
>script's  directory!  So I copied them to the temp directory that the
>script was  using, and let things go.

It was where the script asked me what distro, I answered fedora.  I think I
tried centos, and it did not like that and asked again?

>"I have not booted the system since I started the install, so if there
>is something I can find...."

I have since had do boot.  Did something stupid in which process I killed
for something else I was doing and the GUI went blewy.  Power down and
restart.....