[K12OSN] Reading Counts?

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Thu May 26 15:12:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 06:35, Doug Simpson wrote:

> Can you send detailed info on how you made it work under wine?

Sure.

I created a "gold" Scholastic user and ran the Reading Counts setup with
Wine. Wine created a ".wine" directory in this user's home directory
with config files and a "fake_windows" directory that mimics the
directory structure of a hard drive on a Windows machine.

I edited the Wine config file to map drive S to the directory containing
the RC quiz and database files. I also had to do some display tweaking
in this file as well. My config file may be found here:

http://www.vol.org/vol/school/freedom/reading_counts/config

I then created user accounts that are only used for RC, assigned those
accounts to specific computers and wrote the user name on the monitor.
When someone using one of these usernames logs in, my login script wipes
any existing ".wine" directory, copies the good copy from the gold user,
uses sed to change the username in the Wine config file and changes
ownership to the correct user. You'll find that script here at the
bottom of the page:

http://www.vol.org/vol/school/freedom/ltsp_scripts

I've never tried running the RC administration software under Wine. The
teacher in charge of RC boots into Windows to run that program.

Running Reading Counts under Wine works far better than it ever did
under Windows 95. RC would frequently freeze and leave a lock file that
would prevent anyone else from starting the program. The teacher would
call Scholastic tech "support" for help and they would just tell her to
reboot the server.

Reading Counts would be perfect as a web based app.

--
george kocke <webmaster at vol.org>
http://www.vol.org