[K12OSN] IceWM, Gnome & Nautilus FRUSTRATIONS

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon May 2 14:09:47 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Monday, May 2, 2005 at 9:43 AM +0000 wrote:
>I am guessing that when you first set this up you imported the same list
>of users in the same order on all of the machines, so luckily your UID's
>were all identical on each box.  But now that they have been upgraded
>maybe they don't match anymore.
>
>Find a specific user and see if the user ID matches on all of the
>machines.  If it doesn't there is the answer, if it does, then on to the
>next theory.  Regardless I think it is somewhat dangerous to run a
>multi-server setup without some sort of central user
>authentication/syncronization.  From what I know anyhow.

I agree....it's possible, but not very clean.  Assuming you could throw a
gigabit card in the main server and possibly a couple in the other servers
and connect them via gigabit....you could simply run Samba/LDAP (along
with K12LTSP) on the main server and have all the home dirs live there as
well as the users.  Much cleaner and a LOT more efficient.  Setting up
Samba/LDAP is now a piece of cake....simply run the smbldap installer
script and answer  a few questions and you're in business.

More info here....

http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/smbldap

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator