[K12OSN] OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office

I would like to try a test classroom with K12LTSP, but I want the students
to be able to open their files on Windows machines (to add the 'bells and
whistles' to presentations, etc.).  I've been told that this will really
slow down the server.  Is this true?  I know the students (and teachers)
won't be happy with OpenOffice by itself.

Thanks,
Karen Hoffmann