[K12OSN] OT: Smoothwall and Dansguardian

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Tue May 3 15:18:30 UTC 2005

I know this is off topic but I know how much collected knowledge there
is on this list and thought there's a chance someone here will know
what (probably obvious thing) I'm missing.  Or at least know what
question to ask to help me find it.

At home I've got a Smoothwall Express 2.0 firewall that also has
Dansguardian (2.6.1) on it. I had it working as a transparent proxy
until a while ago when I had some trouble with one of the network ports.
I took the firewall down and got that fixed but now, when I start the
machine up again, I cannot seem to get filtering working again and I'm
not sure why. When I run:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/dansguardian status

I get:

Parent DansGuardian pid:2112

so it seems to be running. I've changed the DG loglevel to 3 but
/var/log/dansguardian/access.log is still 0 bytes long. Actually, I
deleted that file and had a bit of trouble because dansguardian couldn't
create it (because of permissions). I created a file and made "nobody"
the owner. At that point, dansguardian stopped complaining but it still
doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I know I'm missing something perfectly obvious but cannot think what.
Suggestions would be much appreciated.

--
Henry