[K12OSN] OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue May 3 20:08:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 02:57:50PM -0400, Henry Hartley wrote:
> Anyway, I really hate that.  If there were a setting that let me say
> something like "I know I might lose formatting but stop bugging me!" I'd
> really appreciate it.

Hrm, many dialogs I've seen in other apps (/especially/ well-behaved KDE apps)
have little "Don't show this again" checkboxes.  I'm surprised this one in
OOo does not.  Perhaps 2.0 will add it?  Perhaps it's time to file a feature
request, if not? ;^)

> Alternatively, if it said something like, "you included a <some
> formatting feature> in your document and the formatting will be lost or
> modified if you save in that format" then at least I'd know where the
> problem is.  But you get the same stupid message even with a simple
> document with nothing but straight text.

Yeah, it seems kind of ... sweeping.  A more computational approach
("does this doc have formatting?  will this formatting actually be lost
if it gets saved in file format XYZ?") would be more logical. ;)

-bill!