[K12OSN] Move Users from Standard Unix Accounts to SAMBA/LDAP

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed May 4 18:04:16 UTC 2005

Okay, I need some help here.

I have a server with White Box Linux 3 which is our "Master" server with
Postfix, Netatalk, Samba, Webmail, etc. running on it.  I will be making
changes in a month or so to moving all authentication to a SAMBA/LDAP
FC3 K12LTSP box.

So here is what I need help with.  I need to move all data from /home on
the WBEL server to /home on the FC3 server.  I will be exporting the
/home from the FC3 server back to the WBEL server.  I will then be
setting the WBEL server to auth via LDAP to the FC3 server (which has
SAMBA/LDAP).  Not to complicated so far.  But here is the catch, of
course all of the files in /home on the WBEL server have permissions
with Unix accounts and ID's, how do I get the new SAMBA/LDAP accounts to
match the permissions on the moved /home data?

It looks like the SAMBA/LDAP scripts don't store passwords in
/etc/passwd and /etc/smbpasswd so everything must be configured to pull
from the LDAP setup via PAM or something.  I have all users and
passwords in an external database so setting up a file for a bulk import
with the provided scripts wouldn't be a problem.  I am just worried
about permissions matching on moved files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department