[K12OSN] Move Users from Standard Unix Accounts to SAMBA/LDAP

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed May 4 21:07:22 UTC 2005

> So here is what I need help with.  I need to move all data
> from /home on the WBEL server to /home on the FC3 server.  I
> will be exporting the /home from the FC3 server back to the
> WBEL server.  I will then be setting the WBEL server to auth
> via LDAP to the FC3 server (which has SAMBA/LDAP).  Not to
> complicated so far.  But here is the catch, of course all of
> the files in /home on the WBEL server have permissions with
> Unix accounts and ID's, how do I get the new SAMBA/LDAP
> accounts to match the permissions on the moved /home data?

Dave, I found this post from early February when I first was toying with
the idea.
------------start old post-------------
I've actually done this....what I did was create my user accounts on my
Samba/LDAP server.....then I moved the homedirs....then I reran the user
script to fix permissions on the folders.  The usernames must be exactly
the same though.

David N. Trask

So you are saying to install SAMBA/LDAP, run the bulk user add script.
Move the /home directories from the old server to the new one.  Then
rerun the bulk user script to fix things with the same user list?

Scary but I'll give it a try :-)