[K12OSN] New FC3 server, how to export /home correctly?

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 10:36:49 UTC 2005

--- richard ingalls <aslansreturn at yahoo.com> wrote:
> tomorrow.  TONIGHT, I want to set up the "main"
> server
> that will export /home out to the other servers.
>
> Please tell me what settings should be in
> /etc/exports
> and /etc/fstab and all the others settings that need
> to be tweaked on the /home server and the other
> servers.

Richard,

On the "main" server, /etc/exports should contain
this:

/home     192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)

(substitute in your correct network address.  the rw
option at the end is for read-write access)

On the servers that need to nfs-mount /home, you need
this in /etc/fstab:

main.server.net:/ /home nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0

(substitute in the correct name or IP address of your
"main" server)

(the "rsize..." option is supposed to increase the
throughput of the nfs connection.  Others on this list
may have suggestions for additional options to add.
All options should be separated by a comma and no
spaces.)

You can see "man exports", "man fstab", and "man nfs"
if you run into trouble.

Besides this, all I can think of that you need to do
is to make sure that nfs is running on all these
machines.  You may have samba running, but samba is
not used for mounting /home.  You need nfs.

-Rob

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html