[K12OSN] OT: how to boot PPC LiveCDs

OT: How to I make a Mac boot from a LiveCD? Just press the C key while it boots? Any other ways? Does it depend on the vintage of the Mac?

I'm meeting with a couple of tech teachers tomorrow to talk about OSS. I thought I'd take along an Ubuntu and Kubuntu LiveCDs for PPC--the school is virtually all Macs--to give them as a demonstration of the clever things people can come up with when given the freedom to do so. I got the ISOs and burned them, but when I tried them last night in my neighbors iMac (has the translucent blue backside) and iMac laptop (white, like a giant iPod), by pressing the C key while it booted, neither of them would boot from the CD. It is possible the CDs are no good, as I've had some trouble in the past few weeks of burning CDs and them not being readable; but that's only been about 10% of the time. But I wanted to be sure I'm doing the right thing to make the Macs try to boot from them.

TIA

Petre