Re: [K12OSN] Gcj vs javac

I'd recommend installing Sun's jdk. Works fine on k12ltsp.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

I'd just pull down the jdk (not the jre, or the jdk+netbeans bundle)

Then make sure the bin directory is in your $PATH
also I'd set $JAVA_HOME to the directory the jdk was installed to. Probably /usr/local/java/j2sdkxxx or something like that if you used the RPM

As far as IDEs I'd go with eclipse

For teaching java to younger people, you may also want to look here:
http://members.cox.net/luis.montes

Luis

Eric Brown wrote:

Hello All,

I'm preparing for an eventual programming class in Java.  I had a few
semesters of Java in college.  I tried the very simple  "Hello World" using
gcj, only to have it tell me it didn't know what main was ("undefined
reference to main").  I usually figure I made the mistake, so I googled
Hello
World, and copied and pasted someone else's code and still got the same
error.

How different is gcj vs javac?  Will I mess up my terminal server setup if I
install Sun's SDK?

Any strong feelings or success stories about any IDE's?  I'd just stick with
gedit, but I'd like it to do a little more for me.

Thanks,
Eric

Viva la Open Source!