[K12OSN] printers sometimes "dies", anyone have a recipe

Barry R Cisna brcisna at frontiernet.net
Thu May 5 23:08:53 UTC 2005

    Hi ALL,

    Just wondreing if anyone has had a" hiccup" were network printers
,,after printing several pages just "dies"//
    We are running K12LTSP 4.2.0
    This didnt seem to happen on version 4.1.0.
    When i lpq ,nothing shows in the que,as if it things were'nt ever
received into the printer que.
    This is on any of the HP4050 Laserjet printers. I have tryed the
Laserjet4( which seemd to work fine on 4.1.0), and just today switched to
the (maybe) more cpmpatable HP4050 driver.
    Of course I can ping all these printers at their static Ip address
fine.
    I have seen a couple occasions were one or more printers have "stopped"
in the CUPS web interface ,,and after clicking on "start" then several pages
spew out,,but then in time one or two printers dies,,thereafter and no
ques,are being shown for the printers,all that can be done is a reboot of
the server, then life is good again:(.

    Thanks,

    Barry