[K12OSN] tentative roadmap, request for input

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 10:46:40 UTC 2005

Eric,

Excellent plan.  Seems like a lot of work for you, but
if you're up to it then I'm all for it.

I don't know how all this packaging mumbo-jumbo works,
so I may be way off-base here, but here goes.  How
about publishing some sort of document with each
K12LTSP release, specifying what packages are included
and what config files are edited in what ways.  This
document could then be used as a guide by anybody who
has the time/knowledge/initiative to package K12LTSP
for their distribution of choice.

The official K12LTSP releases will be maintained by
you:  K12LTSP on RHEL, K12LTSP on FC, K12LTSP on
Ubuntu.  But sooner or later other versions will pop
up in community-maintained repositories:  K12LTSP on
Mandrake, K12LTSP on SUSE, etc.

I figure somewhere there is somebody who would love to
start using K12LTSP, but who just switched his
school/company from Windows to SUSE (for example), and
will be lynched if he tries to switch to K12LTSP --
unless it looks just like SUSE.

-Rob

--- Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us>