[K12OSN] tentative roadmap, request for input

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri May 6 15:48:19 UTC 2005

Rob Owens wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Excellent plan.  Seems like a lot of work for you, but
> if you're up to it then I'm all for it.
>
> I don't know how all this packaging mumbo-jumbo works,
> so I may be way off-base here, but here goes.  How
> about publishing some sort of document with each
> K12LTSP release, specifying what packages are included
> and what config files are edited in what ways.  This
> document could then be used as a guide by anybody who
> has the time/knowledge/initiative to package K12LTSP
> for their distribution of choice.

To someone who is cluefull at packaging, I already publish everything
they need to know to build a K12LTSP clone. It is relatively easy to do,
but a lot of work.

> The official K12LTSP releases will be maintained by
> you:  K12LTSP on RHEL, K12LTSP on FC, K12LTSP on
> Ubuntu.  But sooner or later other versions will pop
> up in community-maintained repositories:  K12LTSP on
> Mandrake, K12LTSP on SUSE, etc.

The work being done between Ubuntu and LTSP is to make LTSP more
distribution-friendly. The goal is to make it easy and as little work as
possible to integrate LTSP into an arbitrary distribution.

I may or may not be the maintainer of packages for various
distributions. As far as I can tell, I *won't* be involved in
maintaining the Ubuntu packages. I helped do the hard design work, once
that is done the packaging part is all but trivial.

> I figure somewhere there is somebody who would love to
> start using K12LTSP, but who just switched his
> school/company from Windows to SUSE (for example), and
> will be lynched if he tries to switch to K12LTSP --
> unless it looks just like SUSE.

You can already run LTSP on SUSE, you just have to manually install it.
You can think of K12LTSP just as LTSP pre-installed into Fedora.

Having LTSP work "out-of-the-box" is a very nice feature of K12LTSP, but
LTSP itself is really not all that hard to install these days...

-Eric