Re: [K12OSN] tentative roadmap, request for input

Rob Owens wrote:
Eric,

Excellent plan.  Seems like a lot of work for you, but
if you're up to it then I'm all for it.

I don't know how all this packaging mumbo-jumbo works,
so I may be way off-base here, but here goes.  How
about publishing some sort of document with each
K12LTSP release, specifying what packages are included
and what config files are edited in what ways.  This
document could then be used as a guide by anybody who
has the time/knowledge/initiative to package K12LTSP
for their distribution of choice.

To someone who is cluefull at packaging, I already publish everything they need to know to build a K12LTSP clone. It is relatively easy to do, but a lot of work.

The official K12LTSP releases will be maintained by
you:  K12LTSP on RHEL, K12LTSP on FC, K12LTSP on
Ubuntu.  But sooner or later other versions will pop
up in community-maintained repositories:  K12LTSP on
Mandrake, K12LTSP on SUSE, etc.

The work being done between Ubuntu and LTSP is to make LTSP more distribution-friendly. The goal is to make it easy and as little work as possible to integrate LTSP into an arbitrary distribution.

I may or may not be the maintainer of packages for various
distributions. As far as I can tell, I *won't* be involved in
maintaining the Ubuntu packages. I helped do the hard design work, once
that is done the packaging part is all but trivial.

I figure somewhere there is somebody who would love to
start using K12LTSP, but who just switched his
school/company from Windows to SUSE (for example), and
will be lynched if he tries to switch to K12LTSP --
unless it looks just like SUSE.

You can already run LTSP on SUSE, you just have to manually install it. You can think of K12LTSP just as LTSP pre-installed into Fedora.

Having LTSP work "out-of-the-box" is a very nice feature of K12LTSP, but
LTSP itself is really not all that hard to install these days...

-Eric