[K12OSN] tentative roadmap, request for input

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Fri May 6 16:25:48 UTC 2005

First; David Trask:
| Matt Oquist and talked at length the other day about updating the
| smbldap-installer prior to the Northeast Linux Conference.  Minor updates
| to include the latest packages.  On top of that we also talked about
| writing it for Ubuntu.  Matt was all ready to rewrite everything
| (including a new set of tools) from the ground up to adhere to "Debian"
| rules when I pointed out to him that smbldap-tools are part of/packaged
| with Samba.  We found them part of Ubuntu's repository.  Phew!  Taking
| that into consideration it should be a relatively straightforward
| "rewrite" of the script.  We need to study the paths and so forth to see
| where packages live and where things go, but that should be easy enough
| once I have this "Debian" thing figured out.

Matt and I were talking about this at UDU under the guise of "Network
Authentication"[1] which is likely where his inspiration for rewriting
everything to fit with with Debian policy came from. Basically,
RedHat/Fedora make setting up network authentication and user
information dead easy with authconfig, but that particular package
tramps all over config files from many, many packages and, in so doing,
violates ~3 different policy guidelines.  Of course, the GNOME System
Tools do the same thing and they are the "official" Ubuntu GUI admin
tools, so ...

Anyway, part of what needs to be done for this work is something which
enables and configures winbind in smb.conf which the current smbldap
scripts (obviously) don't do.

Actually, a big part of the thin client integration[2] involves similar
work as one of the big pieces for making LTSP "Just Work" is setting up
or modifying configuration from other packages.

Of course all the arguments against Debian are still valid, which is why
the work is being done on Ubuntu ;-P

A big chunk of the Ubuntu effort is related to MueKow, i.e. "getting rid
of the LBE" and will happen in stages (the goal for 5.10 is to eliminate
the LBE by using something akin to debootstrap to set up the client root
and then ship that hunk as a package).

Ubuntu will (probably) never "ship with LTSP" on CD as they (quite
reasonably) want to limit it to only one CD.  The DVD is a different
story, though.  I think the plan is to make it as simple as:

~ 1. install Ubuntu
~ 2. apt-get install ltsp; apt-get install ltsp-client-i386

While at the same time making it easy for people to release derivative
distributions that do this out of the box[3].

There are many more very enlightening Wiki pages than the ones linked
below, I recommend poking around that site for a while to get a good
idea of where Ubuntu wants to go for 5.10 and beyond.

[1] http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkAuthentication
[2] http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientIntegration
[3] http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu
- --
Shahms E. King <shahms at shahms.com>
Multnomah ESD

Public Key:
http://shahms.mesd.k12.or.us/~sking/shahms.asc
Fingerprint:
1612 054B CE92 8770 F1EA  AB1B FEAB 3636 45B2 D75B